Monday, August 27, 2007

8 Palestinians stopped from attacking Israeli towns

Struck by the abuse of language in the articles about attempted terrorist attacks, Don Morris rewrote the narrative to show how responsible reporting would more accurately portray what occurred.

GAZA CITY, 26 August 2007

“With the help of the morning fog, two armed Palestinians managed to infiltrate Saturday into Israeli territory in the area of the Erez and Netiv Haassarah kibbutzim,” Tal Lev-Ram, an Israeli officer, told AFP.

Communities neighboring the collective farming villages were put on alert and roads were closed to traffic. It was only the second Palestinian operation of its kind since June last year when Gilad Shalit, a young Israeli soldier, was captured by Palestinian armed groups in the Gaza Strip.

Three armed resistance factions, Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, the armed wing of Fatah, Al-Naser Brigades, the armed wing of the Popular Resistance Committees, and the National Resistance Brigades, the armed wing of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP) have claimed responsibility for the latest “joint attack on Israeli territory.” A joint statement identified the dead as Khader Aokal, 22, a fighter from the Popular Resistance Committees, and Mohammed Saker, 22, from the DFLP.

The Gaza Strip is now run by the Islamist group Hamas, which captured the territory in June from forces loyal to the secular Fatah faction of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. The attack groups boasted that they “managed to infiltrate Israeli territory and reach the Netiv Haassarah settlement where its two martyred fighters fought for three hours with the Israeli Army.” The same groups also claimed responsibility for a joint operation in the northern Gaza Strip on Friday evening in which two Palestinian fighters were killed by Israeli troops.
The incidents marked a surge in clashes with the Israeli Army in both the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The incidents marked a surge in clashes with the Israeli Army in both the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

In the northern West Bank town of Jenin yesterday, Israeli forces killed one Islamic Jihad fighter wanted by Israel and wounded two others, including one seriously, a Palestinian security official said. A security official later reported that the seriously wounded fighter died of his wounds. This has not however been validated as of this edition.

Two bystanders also sustained bullet wounds in the operation, the official added.The question why they were out in the open during a gunfight remains unanswered. An Israeli Army spokeswoman said troops shot three armed men in a car, considered enroute to attack Israeli citizens. No confirmation regarding their status. A 13-year-old Arab Israeli boy and a fighter from Islamic Jihad were shot dead late Friday when Israeli troops traded fire with fighters in the northern West Bank village of Saida, a Palestinian security source said. It is unclear why a young teenager was standing along side an armed Jihadist while he engaged in a para-military action against the Israeli army.

No comments: