Sunday, February 22, 2009

Part of the Path to Peace: A Few Drops of Rain

This was sent via email by Larry Rich, Director of Development and International Public Relations for Israel's Emek Medical Center in Afula.

It serves as a reminder that, ultimately, most people are just that, ordinary people.

Wonderful institutions like Emek Medical Center help break down the barriers that war and terror have built and in an essential way help to bring the day of peace closer.



In the elevator with me was a young mother who held her baby son close to her as his head rested upon her shoulder. He was obviously weak, bundled up against the cold and I heard her murmur to him in soft Arabic as she kissed his cheek. For some reason, I remembered (and felt) my mother eons ago gently kissing my forehead when I was a young child. The Arab mother walked down the same corridor with me, the young boy listless in her arms as we exited the building. A cold rain was falling and I opened my umbrella and started off to the left as she hesitated before heading to the right '' with nothing more than a thin blanket covering her son's head. I turned to offer them some protection when a Jewish woman popped open her umbrella and kindly encouraged the young mother to walk together with her. As they headed off uphill in the rain, I watched them. A simple unnoticed gesture of kindness between a Jewish woman and an Arab mother protecting her child. I'm sending this to you because if you listened to today's news, you will only have heard that Katyushas were fired into northern Israel from Lebanon and more Palestinian Qassams hit Israel in the south. I consider what I observed also to be newsworthy.

Support Kids 4 Kids <www.emekdonations.org>

Larry Rich
Phone in Israel ... 972-04-649 4417
Mobile in Israel ... 972-0505-737 641
Phone in New York ... 646-546 5970
Fax in Israel ... 972-04-652 2642
Email ... rich_l@clalit.org.il
Mailing address:
Emek Medical Center
Afula 18101
Israel

No comments: